ALEXA Mini 4:3 License Key
This license, enabled by ALEXA Mini SUP 4.0, provides three new ProRes recording modes that access the full 4:3 sensor area and support the use of anamorphic lenses. The first mode records the highest 4:3 resolution possible, while the other two de-squeeze and re-scale the recorded images in-camera for an efficient, specialized workflow. Monitoring paths for all 4:3 modes offer SDI setups featuring dual 1.5G or 3G outputs.
- ProRes 4:3 2.8K records the full 4:3 sensor area (2880 x 2160) and can be used with anamorphic or spherical lenses. It offers frame rates up to 50 fps and an optional 2x anamorphic de-squeeze for the EVF and SDI monitoring paths.
- ProRes 2.39:1 2K Ana. records a 2.39:1 standard 2K format (2048 x 858), which does not require any cropping or scaling in post. Due to the in-camera scaling the data rate is reduced, allowing recording speeds up to 120 fps.
- ProRes 16:9 HD Ana. is for situations where the look of anamorphic lenses is desired but the end product is full 16:9 HD without letterboxing. This mode also supports recording speeds up to 120 fps.
ALEXA Mini ARRIRAW License Key
The ARRIRAW License Key, also enabled by ALEXA Mini SUP 4.0, allows ARRIRAW to be recorded to the ALEXA Mini’s in-camera CFast 2.0 cards by wrapping the files in an MXF container. Like ARRIRAW, the new MXF/ARRIRAW format is uncompressed, unencrypted, and contains audio and metadata. Only the packing is different, so third-party ARRIRAW processing tools such as DaVinci Resolve and Baselight have to be updated with a new SDK, which ARRI has provided for them. ARRIRAW Converter supports MXF/ARRIRAW from version 3.4, available free of charge on the ARRI website.
MXF/ARRIRAW clips do not require specially formatted CFast cards, so MXF/ARRIRAW and QuickTime/ProRes clips can be mixed on the same card.
- MXF/ARRIRAW 16:9 2.8K records an area of 2880 x 1620 and supports frame rates up to 48 fps.
Internal MXF/ARRIRAW Open Gate recording
Installing both the ALEXA Mini 4:3 License Key and the ALEXA Mini ARRIRAW License Key on a camera activates the MXF/ARRIRAW Open Gate 3.4K recording modes enabled by SUP 4.0.
- MXF/ARRIRAW Open Gate 3.4K has a resolution of 3424 x 2202 and a maximum recording speed of 30 fps. As with the ProRes 4:3 recording modes, an optional 2x anamorphic de-squeeze is available for all monitoring paths and a dual 1.5G or 3G SDI setup is supported.
In order to offer anamorphic ProRes productions an easy way to capture some shots in MXF/ARRIRAW, three additional Open Gate 3.4K recording modes are being introduced:
- MXF/ARRIRAW 4:3 2.8K (OG 3.4K)
- MXF/ARRIRAW 2.39:1 2K Ana. (OG 3.4K)
- MXF/ARRIRAW 16:9 HD Ana. (OG 3.4K)
These modes record 3.4K Open Gate at up to 30 fps, but the monitoring paths reflect the corresponding 4:3 ProRes modes. The active image area is noted in the metadata, so postproduction tools will crop the images automatically. ARRIRAW Converter and other tools that support the new ARRIRAW SDK are able to override that information and return to the full Open Gate frame if required.